- To protect the health, welfare and provide the best possible placement for every animal placed in the care of our organization.
- Recognition of the value of each animal life, and therefore, no euthanasia of any animal unless determined by a veterinarian to be the most merciful treatment.
- Spaying and neutering of every animal to help control pet overpopulation. Check out our ABC Clinic. Phone: 574-291-SPAY (574-291-7729.
- Educating the public as to pet care and welfare.
What We Do
- Maintenance of an office in South Bend (telephone 231-1122) to coordinate prospective owners with available pets.
- Requirement that every adoptive pet owner sign our adoption agreement promising the best possible care of the animal, including necessary shots, medical care, and return of the animal to Pet Refuge should problems develop.
- Adopt-A-Pet Days are held every Wednesday and Thursday evening and Saturday afternoon for both cats and dogs.
- Maintenance of a number of foster homes and a shelter where unwanted and abandoned pets are cared for until permanent homes can be found.
- Initial immunizations given to our dogs and cats.
- Spaying/Neutering of all cats and dogs in our foster homes and shelter before adoption.
- Leukemia and FIV test for cats and heartworm test for dogs before adoption.
View our latest Newsletter here: 2017 Winter newsletter
*Attention we are going green and will no longer be printing our newsletter.*
Our 990 informational tax return is available at www.guidestar.org.